Monday, October 1, 2018

"Childhood's Day" by John Rosenman - resurrecting your younger self

Hello commies and sci-fi lovers!

I have read and reviewed several short sci-fi reads by John B. Rosenman. I find his short stories thought-provoking and satisfying, like Twilight Zone episodes. I'd like to share with you Childhood's Day, one of Rosenman's most disturbing and stimulating stories. He takes the popular topic of human cloning and presents it with an original twist. 

Synopsis:
Suppose you could have yourself reborn at the age of seven so your younger replica could you help you cope with crippling guilt for the death of your father -- would you do it? And would it be fair to the boy you once were, especially since he will live only one day?

My thoughts:
"Childhood's Day" left me craving more. I am not saying that this piece is incomplete as it is. But I would love to see it developed into a full length novel. There are so many "teasers" and "what ifs" built into this sci-fi piece. It raises so many philosophical, psychological and bio-ethical questions, that the author could easily grow them into a 60-90K manuscript. The issue of human cloning has been a classic staple in the genre of science fiction. In Rosenman's short story "Childhood's Day" it is used as a therapy tool. Imagine resurrecting your younger self for a day to help you deal with repressed trauma. It is a popular question: "What would you tell your younger self?" But what would your younger self tell you? More importantly, would you be ready to hear the truth? Would it help you heal your wounds or open new ones? 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring my story, Marina. A very thoughtful review. Yes, this story could be expanded, and as you note, human cloning is a staple of science fiction. Now that you mention it, I recall at least one other story I published on the same subject. I agree, this story could be expanded into a novel though I think it works pretty well as it stands. Hmm . . . in a novel perhaps I could have the boy live for a year and study its effect on Morrison's wife, friends, and so on. Perhaps Morrison also clones a female version of himself and the two clones fall in love with each other. Talk about self-love! I do hope this story resonates with other readers as well.

    ReplyDelete